Wednesday 12 December 2018

Twelve number does not bring bad luck usually ...

... as a proof FreeBSD got the release right in schedule :-) No surprise for the usual users, it had been advertised, retweeted million of times (if not billions) and so on ... but that is good to know all went well ... Here are well summarised the most important changes, apart of this, as a reminder, for who is interested in security/cryptography ... getrandom syscall had been ported from Linux (and its wrapper getentropy, with similar signature as the original openbsd implementation) had been added ; all of this by Conrad Meyer if I am not mistaken ... Then that means several user land software/libraries are using it, I have been ported in advance some during the last months, and still do ... In my side, I can count 3 little contributions in this FreeBSD release ... in the userland, 2 concerning libcasper and another was the top command line fix, also, in addition, a sort of indirect one when Conrad Meyer introduced Blake2 API which I just updated, at the time, to use better memory clearance  ; also contributed to more packages than the last time (radare, barony for example ...). My little truss command line fix had just been merged so too late for this release, anyway not being a real threatening issue it is understandable if it is not backported ;-)

Personally I did not feel much this 12th release, using only already -CURRENT like numerous people ;  but I have the feeling other will enjoy this pretty much which represent, as you can witness, a tremendous amount of work ...

Apart of this, I still continue my work on the future LLVM 8, today I ve committed a little change into the static code analysis department to detect possible wrong usage of explicit_bzero (and its older "sibling" bzero) and also still work on improving capsicum api interception in the sanitization part. I wish you all well in this relatively warm end of autumn ;-)

Labels: , ,

View David Carlier's profile on LinkedIn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home